|Written by||Doc Hammer|
|Original air date||August 3, 2008|
|List of The Venture Bros. episodes|
The Lepidopterists is the tenth episode of Season 3 and the overall thirty-sixth episode of The Venture Bros.
The Monarch launches his first attack on his new arch nemesis, the other Dr. Venture. But Jonas has the formidable defenses of Spider-Skull Island on his side, as well as his own Team Venture, and the expert advice of a trio of O.S.I. "butterfly specialists." It will take a loose reading of the Guild handbook, an insertion team of his three best henchmen, and all the diabolical chicanery The Monarch can muster to even the playing field.
- James Urbaniak: Jonas Venture Jr.
- Patrick Warburton: Brock Samson
- Chris McCulloch: The Monarch, Henchman 24, Pirate Captain, Henchman 1, Mr. Doe, Ned
- Doc Hammer: Dr. Mrs. The Monarch, Henchman 21, Mr. Cardholder
- Mia Barron: Sally Impossible
Connections to Other Episodes Edit
- Henchman 24 begins to tell Henchman 1 a story about a henchmen named Speedy, a reference to Dia de los Dangerous!
- This episode takes place immediately after the post credits scene from Tears of a Sea Cow.
- Cardholder and Doe state that The Monarch has killed his previous five archenemies. This was shown on-screen, and stated previously, in Tears of a Sea Cow.
- This episode takes place chronologically after Now Museum-Now You Don't. Displays from the Jonas Venture Jr. Museum of Jonas Venture are seen in the background in several scenes.
- The "late '60s death ray" is mentioned as having been constructed by Scaramantula. Scaramantula was revealed to be the previous owner of Spider-Skull Island during Now Museum-Now You Don't.
- 21 mistakenly report the death of Scott Hall as "Death by Samson", but he is later revealed to be alive in Any Which Way But Zeus.
- Scott Hall (in his "Zero" supervillain identity) is eventually killed for real by Brock Samson in All This and Gargantua-2, causing his death to be once again listed as "Death By Samson".
- Cardholder and Doe mention watching a theoretical reality TV show starring J.J. and Flavor Flav. This is a reference to the various reality TV series the rapper was featured on, including VH1's The Surreal Life and Flavor of Love.
- Henchmen 21 & 24 reference the death animation from Tomb Raider as a rationale for not swimming blindly underwater.
- The giant combining mech that Jonas Jr. and his team use is a reference to Voltron.
Production Notes Edit
- One of the animation directors (Kimson Albert) has a "nickname" inserted into his credits. The nickname is an unusual line or word from the preceding episode. For The Lepidopterists the credit reads Kimson "No-No Word" Albert.
- Speedy is mentioned for the first time since his debut and death.
- 21 coins the phrase "Death By Samson" in this episode.
| Preceded by:|
"Now Museum-Now You Don't"
| The Venture Bros. episodes|
August 3, 2008
| Followed by:|